Colossal Cafe

photo from colossalcafe.com
Jeanne's take:
For some reason we decided to get up super early on this cold and snowy end to March and head to Colossal Cafe for breakfast. It was barely 9 am and the place was packed. That's always a good sign for a restaurant. We were seated right away at the last two spots by the window so we were sitting next to each other. Normally I can't stand that, but at this place it seemed to not be as bad. We were greeted by a very chipper waitress who got us our coffee right away. I don't tend to drink hot coffee so she suggested I try the bottled cold press by Truestone Coffee. Again, I tend to favor the cold press we brew at my work, but this wasn't that bad. Paul got a piping hot cup of coffee and seemed to enjoy it.
While we were waiting to be seated, Paul spotted an enormous cinnamon roll and asked that the server bring us one. We are a sucker for cinnamon, caramel, or pecan rolls, and this one did not disappoint. It was as big as a small child, warm, and delicious. Not super sweet which is always a good selling point for us.
Holy Moly!
We both ended up ordering the breakfast burrito, but I kept it in true breakfast burrito form while Paul enjoyed it in a bowl. The two salsas served on the side were super delicious, the green avocado based one being spicy enough to be zippy but not overwhelming. The pulled pork was super flavorful and moist and the eggs were cooked just right.
Delicious
The food was delicious and the service was also pretty great. The whole place had a comfortable feel, even though it was packed with people. They obviously know what they are doing here at Colossal and I'm sure we will return again soon.
-------------------
3.5 out of 4 stars
------------------

Paul's take:

This was another small place. There were only two spots by the window to sit and we thought, what the hell lets try it. With our backs to the crowded little restaurant it seemed like we could just be in our own little world and ignore the cluster behind us.
Our server was very attentive and that is something I really notice when I go out to eat. We got our coffee pretty quick and it was really good coffee. Both Jeanne and myself are kinda coffee snobs.
We got this HUGE cinnamon roll and shared it, it was really good. So big we both ended up putting some aside for later so we wouldn't get too full to enjoy our breakfast entree.
      We both got the breakfast burrito but I made mine a burrito bowl. I don't like so much bread (Tortilla).

I really enjoyed the bowl. Two nice salsas, slow roasted pulled pork. 
The server kept checking on us, the food was really good, the coffee was really good, sitting by the window was just fine. Jeanne and me had a nice time.
I will definitely go back.
-------------------
3.5 out of 4 stars
------------------


Comments

Popular Posts